Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sam Raimi returns to form...


This is not a review, more simply a WildClaw stamp of approval.

A large group of us WildClawians went to a preview screening of Sam Raimi's latest, DRAG ME TO HELL, thanks to our friend Nick.

I highly recommend this movie. It has been said, incorrectly, on our podcast, that I do not believe that horror movies should be anything but rated R. That was not true. My beef has always been that I hate PG-13 horror movies. More often than not, they suck. They are trying to play both to the children and the adults, and end up doing neither. My attitude was that horror should be R or PG, and should not muck about in the middle.

This movie, with its blood, ooze, jumps, suspense, and evil talking goat, changed that. I see that it can be done. You just need a quality filmmaker with a love of the genre and a story to tell. This is the first PG-13 rated horror movie that I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a good summer horror popcorn flick.

6 comments:

Charlie said...

You had me at "evil talking goat".

Scottie Barsotti said...

You didn't like "The Ring?" Not a popcorn flick, per se, but a quality PG-13 horror film (that probably should have been R).

Amidei said...

I liked The Ring...it was better than anything out that year...but was hurt, in my opinion, by playing to the adolescent and not the adult. I felt it would have been better R. That they sacrificed the movie for demographics...

Amidei said...

Whereas, with DRAG ME TO HELL, I think Sam Raimi knows what he is doing, and worked within the confines...I do not feel that it would have been a better movie if it were R.

Dr. AC said...

As you know, I loved DRAG ME, but I hope this cues you to the fact that you could be missing out on some quality flicks by your blanket prejudice towards all things PG-13. As Scott mentioned, THE RING was not bad at all, nor were THE GRUDGE remake, TREMORS, ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, GREMLINS 2, EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS, HOLLOW MAN, DEEP RISING, the RESIDENT EVIL movies, PITCH BLACK, THE CELL, THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES and on and on.

Just sayin'...

Amidei said...

Bah, I say...