With the weather in Chicago being downright apocalyptic...I thought a brief list of my favorite weather related spooky films is in order. Mind you, I am not a hard-core horror person....I like to pretend I am, but I do not watch every grainy low-budget number that you crazy kids put out every year. About as exotic as I get is the friday night crap horror film on Sci-Fi channel or Chiller (Oh Mansquito, how I love thee...). So here is my list...feel free to add to it or mock me privately. In no particular order...
1. The Mist- Most of the movies on this list are from Stephen King. The guy does spooky weather often and well. This movie is both freaky and an awesome social and political allegory. Lessons learned...don't give up hope and stay away from crazy religious bitches.
2. Storm of the Century A Stephen King mini-series about weather and a town given a really horrible Shirley Jackson-esque choice to make.
3. The Shining Snow storms. Ghosts. Haunted ski-resorts. Jack.
4. The Fog Go with the old one if only for the love of all things Adrienne Barbeau. This one's got fog and ghost pirates! Yarrrrrr!
5. The Thing So so so good. Wilford Brimley should be in every horror film. But then, so should Kurt Russell.