Monday, March 2, 2009

Supernatural returns for Season 5

It was recently announced that Supernatural, the CW TV series that resembles a cross between the Hardy Boys Mysteries, Night Gallery, and the X Files, has been renewed for a 5th season. This is wonderful news for me.

I came to the Supernatural bandwagon late, after some resistance. But, as has often happened, persistence on the part of the lovely and talented Ms. Greaves turned my head around. I am unabashedly in love with this show. There are so many things that I like about this show I do not know where to begin. Just to name a few reasons to watch, if you are not already, off the top of my head...

It delivers on it's promise. Each week you get a little monster movie. With amazing consistancy, with or without dwelling on some season long story arc, they deliver a tidy "meet demon/ghost/werewolf, chase demon/ghost/werewolf, kill demon/ghost/werewolf" scenario, from beginning to end, with just enough blood and guts to keep me satisfied. It is still TV, but in ways, that makes the body count that much more impressive. They consistently provide one genuinely creepy moment every couple episodes, another impressive feat for TV.

They know their audience. It is smartly written, with enough references for the horror buff to get them, but...they do not overplay their hand, most of the time. They walk a fine line between being clever and winking at the audience, but so far, they haven't pissed me off. I particularly liked the Hollywood episode, with the Canadian weather. And Linda Blair episode. Obvious, but...

The soundtrack. The is ridiculously fun. Yes, fun. I said it. Not one of my favorite words, but when used appropriately, a very fine word...the whole thing is right up my classic rock alley. Come on, Bad Moon Rising? Surrender? Hellhound On My Trail, Rock You Like A Hurricane? Joe Walsh, Ozzy Osbourne, Ted Nugent, The Stooges, STYX, Guns and Roses, Jefferson Airplane?








The car. 'Nuff said.




The Crossroads Blues episode in the second season. Being a huge fan of Robert Johnson, the Blues in general, and the Crossroads mythology in particular, that was too much for me. If at any time I doubted my love for this show, from that episode on it has been appointment TV for me, and it has continually delivered smoking hot demons, gooey monsters, creepy succubi, quality kills, sweet tunes, and one badass ride. What more can a guy ask for? So, good news, they are keeping it on the air for one more season. If you haven't seen it, get the first season and check it out.

5 comments:

Amidei said...

I just got into an argument with someone who said that I was being hypocritical by judging all pg-13 horror movies as shite while singing the praises of what he called "watered down television crap". He is wrong. You either go R or pg. And these days, TV is pg. Two different type of movies. pg-13, that's crap.

vicjoy1945 said...

Yup - I've been a Supernatural fan from episode 1. I really enjoy it...great car, great music, (I think one of the very first scenes in the show was the car driving away to AC/DC's Highway To Hell), great babes and a good number of excellent horror scenes in every episode. Oh, and I love the fake FBI names they come up with.

You should also check out Fringe...thats a keeper. Its a bit more X-Files-like in storyline but very enjoyable to watch.

Vic

Amidei said...

I have been on the Fringe this season, which is good, although a little to "the truth is out there" for me...

Mr. Morlock said...

Blame Big Steve for PG13.

From wikipedia: "In 1984, explicit violence in the PG-rated films Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Gremlins were "the straws that broke the parents' backs". Their complaints led Hollywood figure Steven Spielberg, director of Temple of Doom and producer of Gremlins, to suggest a new rating."

Course, the scene when Indy and whatserface first fall into the tomb and surrounded by mummies--

whoa. freaked me out. took me three more go-arounds before I could stay in the theatre for that scene, w/out "suffering a coughing fit" or "needing to use the restroom."

Not an R scene, but definitely and proudly too much for the short-pants crowd, yes? So good thing to have a rating system to keep out those prone to boo-hooing and ruining it for the rest of us.

Alyrenee said...

Don't forget the two smoking hot leading men in the show...sigh. I love me some winchester brothers and Jeffrey Dean Morgan...sigh.