Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Magnolia Lets the Wrong Subtitles In...




From our pals at Icons of Fright:

"If you're an avid reader of this or just about any other horror web-publication, then no doubt you've heard plenty about the Swedish indie-vampire flick LET THE RIGHT ONE IN - a somber, haunting & beautiful tale directed with finesse by Tomas Alfredson. In the last year, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN has quickly garnered "cult" like status among genre & movie fans alike. It managed to top the "best of 2008" lists for just about every horror website out there, and has become a favorite for the entire ICONS staff here. So, naturally, we were all rather excited that the film finally was released last week here in the US on both DVD and Blu-Ray.

"About 20 minutes into the screening, I was absolutely horrified.

"The subtitles had been drastically changed since the last time I saw it, and dare I say... had been completely dumbed down? Sure, the basic gist of what the characters were saying was kind of there, but missing completely was the dark humor, subtleties and character nuances which made the movie so powerful and a favorite amongst audiences last year. I tried to carry on and ignore it, hoping that only a few of the translations were off... but... I was wrong. The intent of just about every single line of dialogue was completely off and ruined the movie..."


To read the entire post with numerous frame by frame comparisons, visit:

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/03/let_the_wrong_subtitles_in_to.html

2 comments:

Charlie said...

I am sooo glad, Julienne and I found the time to hit a screening of LTROI at the theater. I have the DVD, but haven't has the time to watch it yet. Having seen it and read the book, I think I'll just watch it without subtitles and soak in the movie a pure film.

Dr. AC said...

Just read the book myself - what a great adaptation that is. While I missed one significant episode from the book, the rest is recreated quite skillfully and faithfully. Hollywood could take a lesson from this...if they weren't so busy with the remake train. Sigh.